Saturday, December 27, 2008

What Are You Reading?

What are you reading right now? I've personally got three books going right now, but I'm always interested in what the Country A-K crowd is reading. I learned about Skipped Parts, Youth in Revolt, and several other of my favorite books from suggestions on this blog.

Front View


In case you were wondering, my "in progresses" are The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu, New Moon by Stephenie Meyer, and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Of the three, Nick and Norah's is the most fun. It's sort of a high school High Fidelity. I haven't seen the movie, but the book is entertaining. New Moon is what it is. The sequel to Twilight. I'm having some difficulty getting through it, but I'm almost done. I hear its the worst of the four. I got the other two for Christmas, so I have some reading to do. The Ten Cent Plague is a look back on the role the comic books played in American Culture. It is the true story that The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is based and is an almost parallel book to Men of Tomorrow.

Up next is The Coffee Trader by Davis Liss and then maybe Heavier than Heaven by Charles Cross. Then I'm open for suggestions.

Still wondering about the release of Black Tooth Grin though. That's been on the Amazon wish list for a while now. ;)

9 comments:

Adam said...

I read Heavier Than Heaven and loved it, and most of you know how much I loathe Nirvana. A great read, though.

I just finished Tales of Beedle the Bard, the collection of short fables set in the Harry Potter universe. It was fantastic. Totally short, but totally hilarious.

I also recently finished, I'm A Lebowski, You're A Lebowski, which was also completely hilarious. It's a must if you're a Lebowski fan.

I'm currently reading The Urban Homestead, a guide to self-sufficient, DIY living in the city.

Scott said...

I read Tales of the Beedle Bard as well. I read it to Colleen and Maddy, but they made me skip the historical parts by Dumbledore. I thought that was kind of funny.

I hard Charles Cross on the radio talking about the Unseen Cobain yesterday and he was talking about Heavier than Heaven. I looked at the store, but with my current backlog of reading, I opted to pass until a later day.

How's that Urban Homestead book? Looks interesting on Amazon. I taught myself how to knit a few months ago and have been making hats ever since. Check out my Flickr page. I'll probably make a sweater on my next deployment.

Shannon said...

i love getting book recommendations from all of you too! I'm not reading much lately, but right now I'm reading the Tim Russert book - Big Russ and Me....it's really good and casual and warm, like Tim Russert. And since my mom is from Buffalo, it's neat to hear about it at that time. I'll totally check out some of these, especially Urban Homestead

rachel said...

I'm reading a collection of short stories titled after the first, "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner." It was recommended by one of my grad school English nerd friends. The first story is told from the perspective of what amounts to an English Holden Caulfield. The book is pretty bleak, but I'm enjoying the writing.

Adam said...

Rachel! You're here! I think this is the first post I've seen from you. Totally awesome.

Josh said...

I also dug Heavier Than Heaven
Seperate book but I loved The Loneliness Of The Long... by Sillitoe. Good book.

Reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy now after I read The Ice Storm and No Country For Old Men. All amazing. Next is a Moz book Connie got me for Christmas.Doug lent me Rosemary's Baby so that is on the list too.

rachel said...

Oh I've been here for awhile. (Creepy, huh.)

Zac Crain said...

Just finished over the holiday break:

Downtown Owl, by Chuck Klosterman
The Blind Side, by Michael Lewis
Gentlemen of the Road, by Michael Chabon
A Few Seconds of Panic, by Stefan Fatsis
The Learners, by Chip Kidd
Into the Wild, by Jon Kraukauer

All awesome.

Hi Rachel!

Zac Crain said...

Oh, Heavier Than Heaven rules, as does The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner. I liked the Nick & Norah movie better than the book.

And Black Tooth Grin comes out April 6. Tell your metalhead friends.