Saturday, December 6, 2008

Good Movies?

Twilight


Anyone seen any good movies lately? These days I don't get out to see much that doesn't have animated characters, but most of those are pretty entertaining. Sadly, I'm looking forward to The Tale of Despereaux.

I'm generally a fan of seeing movies of books I've read because I like to see how close my vision was with what is put on the screen. Almost invariably, the book is better than the movie. There are the rare exceptions.

So I finally got out to see Twilight last night. I read the book a while back and my first impression when I heard about the movie was "How will any actors live up to those descriptions of the vampires?" Easy enough... They played the "god-like appearance" thing down in the movie. I thought they did a pretty good job with the casting. The acting was okay and the transition from book to film was faithful. I thought the girl who played Alice Cullen was absolutely perfect.

I liked that most of the actors and actresses were relatively unknown. I knew Kristen Stewert (Bella) from Into the Wild and Robert Pattinson (Edward) as Cedric Diggory from the Harry Potter movies. The only other person I recognized at all was Anna Kendrick (Jessica) from Rocket Science (which is, incidentally, one of my favorite movies of last year. Thank you Netflix for the suggestion).

Has anyone else seen this movie? Especially anyone who read the book? If that doesn't peak your interest, then how about the pending release of Youth in Revolt? I know a few of us read that a while back.

5 comments:

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

I read Twilight (hello, I work in a middle school library) but it didn't connect with me like it has with other people. And it's hard for me to take the movie seriously. That guy just looks too ridiculous.

Scott said...

I really love the Pacific Northwest, so I enjoyed the setting of the book and the movie. I haven't managed to make it quite as far west as Forks, but that area of Washington is truly one of the most beautiful spots in America (if you can deal with rain).

I don't think I connected with the book like a lot of the fans have, but I enjoyed it. I've only read the first two though, so I have two to go.

Shannon said...

Yeah, i didn't read it, but I didn't think that Twilight would appeal to me...

I do recommend Slumdog Millionaire! It is a good movie...

and by the way, a friend of mine from college is in Rocket Science! Good movie

Josh said...

I can't wait for Youth In Revolt. I feel the way I did waiting for the film version of High Fidelity